All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

An attempt to shut us down
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:24 am 
Site Admin

I was getting ready with the changes to the website and shopping cart script when all of a sudden I got "this account has been suspended" message when I've tried to access my website. Immediately I've contacted the host of the server our website is on and he told me that there was an unsolicited (spam) message sent from my account and he is shutting me down.

This was after 7 years of hosting with this company with no incidents and he shut me down without asking a single question! Of course I requested to see this alleged email and it was an obvious attempt to incriminate me, but the information in it was copied word for word from the home page at Divining Mind.

I've tried to contact the accuser, but the email bounced! The message cannot be delivered when it bounces back, so I suspect that the whole email was fabricated by the host. Now - why would he do it?

Did he go crazy? Did somebody pay him to do it? The only possible reason that I can think of would be if somebody paid him or otherwise forced him to do it. Now - why would somebody jeopardize their business and income with unfunded accusations, especially that in the hosting business once you get a client it is usually for years? Why would somebody want to see us closed down? Competition getting desperate or powers that be that don't like the power dowsing gives to individuals? Well, we are dowsers, why don't we try to find the truth?

Of course I won't leave it like this, the perpetrator should pay for the pain he or she has caused - the website is still not 100% operational, but I will wait till the rest of the network is restored.

Re: An attempt to shut us down
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:57 pm 

Chris, this is very upsetting to me (& I'm sure to most others) to see this kind of garbage going on :x There is absolutely no excuse, or excusing this kind of web activity. As I hadn't read this post 'til this evening, I wasn't aware that someone or ones had put you & this wonderful forum through these kinds of harassments. I am more than willing to back you 100% in any way I can to put an end to this. & once again, I'm sure other members on this site are also. Let us know what can be done to help you on this matter. And in the meantime, be assured that these trouble-makers aren't just going to get away with their antics Blessings, NL

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:23 pm 
Site Admin

Thank you, I appreciate it!
I've reported it to the appropriate (I think) authorities and we will see when or if we get more info on this.

At this point I can only send a healing vibes to the perp, so he or she can heal.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:10 am 

Chris,

Same thing happened to me. I don't think there is a conspiracy against me when it was done. Someone merely wanted to spam (the spamming is bad) and used my email address (that is bad and wrong too). What the spam was I don't know, it seems to have stopped. There is a movement afoot to change POP3 to a model that requires a valid return address from the sender. Seems like too much Big Brother to me but that may become necessary, especially as the Chinese Universities have courses on bring down the net and sending viruses (hence the battle with Google).

have fun

Nick