All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Planning to build my own dowsing rods
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:09 am 

I was considering using stainless steel thin rods (spokes of bicycles) for making my dowsing rods.
Is steel OK for this ?

~R

Re: Planning to build my own dowsing rods
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:30 pm 

R, I'm not expert on dowsing instruments, but I'll tell you what I've seen, and hopefully other dowsers will add their suggestions. I was given a pair by my water supplier that looked like thin silver/grey metal. They worked fine. Then I was give a pair of brass/copper looking ones with old tea pot wooden handles and they work well. I like the last pair best because they're comfortable to hold and rotate very easily. A metal cylinder or tube just wide enough to slide over the rod at the holding end might work well for yours. Just bend the ends so the cylinders(handles) don't slide off. Use whatever you have and go from there. What type of projects are you dowsing if you don't mind my asking. Have fun. 61154

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:02 pm 

To be honest nothing in specific but there a few lost/misplaced objects that I would like to dig out.

~R

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:52 pm 

Have fun and Good Luck! 61154

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:24 pm 
Site Admin

DowserChekkan wrote:
I was considering using stainless steel thin rods (spokes of bicycles) for making my dowsing rods.
Is steel OK for this ?

~R

Anything really should be fine as long as you get unrestricted movement. Welding rods work well, you've probably heard about wire coat hangers - they are not that great, but will work in a pinch. I've seen people use drinking straws for the sleeves. Any relatively stiff wire will work fine. It's really your intent that counts the most. Of course well balanced rods will add to your accuracy :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:51 am 

While any substance will do, including wood, you may find that copper works best for most people. Brass would be second, because of the copper content. I like handles made from 3/4 inch copper water pipe and the pointers made from thin brass tubing available at hardware stores.

I like to use precision bearings to connect the two and find the best place to get them is the tape idler out of an old VCR. It almost always fits perfectly in the copper water pipe and the tubing is easily attached with epoxy. Another thing that works well for pointers is telescopic antennas off old portable phones.

Cammeron tested lots of different materials, including silver and gold plating, and found copper the superior metal for dowsing. This may be superstition rather than fact, but what could it hurt LOL!

If your not a tinkerer, I suggest you get over bent coat hangers and brass welding rods and pony up for a set of precision made L rods.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:30 am 
Site Admin

I have a dowsing rod custom made with ball bearings, but I find it way too sensitive and I end up slowing it with my thumb :D

I guess it's "use what works for you..."

Some people use bent welding rods and a handle made out of a drinking straw.

On the other hand - our basic L-rods are still only $28.60 for a pair and are fine for most of the dowsing needs.